A Permanent Resident Card is usually issued for five years and New permanent residents do not need to apply for a permanent resident card. This is mailed by IRCC once new residents arrive in Canada. Permanent residents must have a valid permanent resident card or permanent resident travel document to return to Canada by plane, train, bus or boat.

You should only apply for a PR card if:

» your card has expired or will expire in less than 9 months
» your card is lost, stolen, or destroyed
» you didn’t receive your card within 180 days of immigrating to Canada

you need to update your card to:
» legally change your name
» change your citizenship
» change your gender designation
» correct your date of birth